Friday, January 26, 2007

 

Does Anyone Have Any Bread?

Well, Mr. Winter caught Mommy of the Year by surprise, AGAIN!

We got our first snowfall earlier in the week and the kids were all thrilled to get out there and have "snow fun". Whatever. Snow fun is just a big pain in my ass...with the layers of clothes, the mittens, the snowpants, the wail of "I'm cold" and the hats causing static hair. Of course, Elizabeth was chomping at the bit to get out there. Only one problem...we had no boots or snowpants for her. I explained that I would go to Target in the morning and she could play outside tomorrow. Well, after having her nose pressed up against the window and watching all the other children having their "snow fun" she was near tears. Damn it. (I started to feel guilty because just the week before I had a pair of boots for her in my Target cart... but...then I saw something I wanted and ditched the boots in housewares. Yes, I put my needs first, so sue me.)

What was I to do? Thankfully, I remembered what my ingenious mother use to use in lieu of snowboots...she simply put bread bags over our shoes and tied them with rubber bands. Yes, it was humiliating, but at least we got to go outside. Granted, it took us about two hours to get up a small hill with our sleds due to traction problems...

If bread bags were good enough for me, they're good enough for my offspring. I didn't have any rubber bands so Elizabeth's bread bags were held up with hair ties.

Boots shmoots!

Comments:
What a WONDERful idea! Don't feel like a HEEL for scrimping on your child's basic needs. : )

And no, I am not forty thank you.
 
I'm afraid to ask about her mittens?
 
Frosty--for mittens on the younger children I use juice boxes...older kids use cereal boxes. SW
 
Don't forget to let Haley get some "snow time." She just loves a good romp in the white stuff.
 
Irene--if you wanted Haley to get some damn snow time YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HER WITH YOU!!!! SW
 
Irene, Snickers had a playdate with Haley. She's a sweet affectionate elder dog. We enjoyed spending time with her. I recommend one tablet of fish oil gel caps with each meal. After 2-3 weeks you will see a nice sheer shiny coat. She deserves the pampering.

SW, Irene left Haley with you so that you could do your South Beach Diet with Haley as your partner.
 
Mush, I am buying the fish oil gel capsules today! Do you squeeze the oil from the capsules onto Snickers' food or does she take the capsule itself? Looking forward to a sleeker and shinier Haley Dog in 2008...
Irene
 
WARNING: Dr. Doolittle Posting

Irene, I put the Kirkland Signature Natural Fish Oil Concentrate Softgels in the dog food, one cap, undisturbed. My Snickers inhales her food and does not even notice that I slipped her a "mickey".

If Haley (due to her high IQ) does not prefer this method, you may wrap it in cheese or you can purchase fish oil in liquid form and drizzle a bit on her food at each meal.
 
Squeezing oil...Snickers...slipping Mickey's? Could this be code talk between Mush and Irene?
 
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Meghan--Your comment was deleted. There is a line between being funny and being disrespectful.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?