Monday, June 20, 2005

 

Ouch, That HURT!!

Happy Belated Father's Day to all fathers!!

I WAS having an enjoyable Father's Day UNTIL church. Yes, church. I usually feel good about myself after Mass, but not this time...Mass was almost finished and Elizabeth was getting antsy. Disciplining one's child in church is tricky business, especially if you're Catholic. We must be stern and instill the utmost reverence in our children during church, but at the same time restrain ourselves from wanting to beat the hell out of the little monsters in the House of God ( I don't know about your kids, but Elizabeth knows she has much more control of me in a quiet, religious setting). It seems a good Catholic mother should be in total control of her brood, all the while keeping her Catholic composure. Hmmm, I have ONE child and this is a challenge for me.

Anyhoo, there we were in church and Elizabeth was beginning to toy with me. First, she stuck her wet finger in my ear, then she announced LOUDLY that she had a wedgie, then she stopped communicating in a whisper and began to talk in a normal tone. I attempted to discipline her with my "mother glare" and my "you just wait until we get in the car and there are no Christian witnesses" look, but she couldn't have cared less. Well, she left me no choice...so I leaned in close, gritted my teeth and said, "If you don't stop this behavior we are NOT, I repeat, NOT letting you dance today" (FYI: no, Elizabeth didn't have a recital or anything like that, she just REALLY enjoys to dance around the house). Well, that did it!! Elizabeth stared at me, then glared, then grabbed her pad and pencil and began to write furiously. Oh, boy...Once again, I fear for my safety and those around us. Elizabeth angrily squints at me and shoves the paper in my hand. I look down at the words my own daughter wrote, by herself, on the paper. Apparently, my daughter plays dirty. I am stunned, hurt...and realize I need to go on a diet...

"Mom is 39"

Words sting.

Comments:
HaHa!

I was raised Catholic too, but my mom didn't hesitate to make a scene. In church or not, there's still a bathroom right? That was where my mother took us (me or my sisters) to play disciplinarian. Church was the last place I would've thought to act up. None the less great story.
 
You should be happy. She could have written "S-T-E-P-M-O-T-H-E-R".
 
Anyhoo, did you know it's the first day of summer and, if you wish, you can stand a raw egg on end?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?