Monday, June 27, 2005

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Showing proper respect to others, especially adults, was a big theme in both my husband's family and my own growing up...So, naturally we wanted to instill that quality in our daughter.

Well, apparently Elizabeth has combined our parental expectations/influence with some Disney movies with regards to showing proper respect. For the last few days, whenever I ask Elizabeth to do something she curtsies and says, "yes, your majesty". Now, that's all well and good in the privacy of our own home, but it's a tad overdone when we are in public.

ME: "Elizabeth put the milk in the grocery cart".

E: (curtsy)"Yes, your majesty".

or

ME: "Elizabeth, do you need help with your goggles?"

E: "Yes, your majesty". (curtsy)

or

ME: "Elizabeth, GET DOWN FROM SITTING ON THOSE MONKEY BARS!!!"

E: (climbs down from monkey bars and curtsies) "Yes, your majesty".

We've created a monster.

Comments:
"Your majesty!" I love it! Henry, age 4, grabbed my ass in the kitchen yesterday and said I was his "best gal." I think a curtsy or bow would be much more appropriate.
-Irene
 
I think there is a reason for this behavior. Don't blame it on Queen Elizabeth... most of these quirks do originate from the parents. Are you sure you have not scared her into submission? Maybe this is her way of reacting to a fascist system within her own household. This is her own way of rebelling against control in her own diplomatic way. All she wants is DEMOCRACY!!! The girl is brilliant beyond her years. Think about it.
 
Well, at least she seems to listen to you! I'd take a child that listens with a curtsy anyday over the non-listening, tongue sticker outter I seem to be raising!
 
Oh but to be a child..."When you wish upon a STAR. Makes no difference who you are."
 
It's like I always say your majesty: You give dem an inch, dey swim all over you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?