Saturday, April 16, 2005

 

Suburban Soccer

Elizabeth is playing organized soccer for the first time this spring.

Paul and I played almost all sports throughout our childhoods and teens, but soccer was never one that interested either one of us. Too much running...not enough scoring. Well, we're open minded enough to let Elizabeth pick her own activities (unless its chess, bowling or wrestling), so soccer it is.

Problem is Elizabeth is more interested in the social aspect of it. This is the conversation as we pulled up to the field today..."oh, there's Brittany, she's my best friend...oh there's Kara, she's my best friend...oh, hey Jessica...Jessica's my best friend...". (Sheesh, forget about your friends!!! Your only friend on the field is the BALL!) Even when she's in the game, on the field, in the middle of the frickin game, if one of her so called "best friends" kicks the ball, Elizabeth takes the time to jump up and down in place and scream "way to go, Jessica or Brittany or Kara". Elizabeth covers more ground vertically than she does horizontally!! I never thought we'd be the type of parents who yell from the sidelines, but we can't help ourselves...Paul and I holler from the sidelines, "GET BACK IN THE GAME ELIZABETH!!!" I have to keep reminding myself that these kids are only five years old...

Anyhoo...the mighty Cheetahs lost today, but I'm sure they'll come roarin back next week. They better, damn it.

Comments:
I thought you would never become a soccer mom. Ha! Soccer Moms are so much worse than tennis Moms.
 
I would think that as the parent of a GIRL, you would prefer her to be vertical and NOT horizontal!
 
Careful...or you could become a Richard (Venus & Serena) Williams in the making!!!! You know how out of hand tennis parents can be.
 
Will the old, smelly, ear wax infested, butt draggin labrador retriever be joining you at Elizabeth's soccer games for the next couple of weekends? I imagine she'd enjoy an outing.
 
Does that last post imply that the infamously adorably aging Chocolate Lab with the waggy tail be staying at your home for a bit of respite care?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?