Friday, March 11, 2005

 

Running Out of Options

The Barbie suitcase was packed again this morning.

Once again, Elizabeth threatened me with leaving because she didn't like my rules (granted, my rules are really rigid and mean...like brush your teeth, make your bed, eat your breakfast, etc. Yeah, with those rules I make Joan Crawford look like Mary Frickin Poppins). Unlike last time, she did take the time to outfit herself in her favorite pair of Strawberry Shortcake underpants (recently, Elizabeth has been in this phase of only wearing her Strawberry Shortcake undies. Problem is her "shortcake undies" are a size 4 and Elizabeth is pushing 6, so she's constantly pulling her undies out of her ass. Does anyone know where they sell Size 6 Strawberry Shortcake underpants?).

My dilemma is that when I tell Elizabeth to go to her room, she sometimes looks right at me and simply replies, "no". Sometimes she says, "no, thank you". Now, I realize there are readers out there (and you know who you are!) who would simply say to give her a spanking or as my mother so eloquently says, "that kid needs a smash" (don't go getting your Strawberry Shortcake panties in a bunch....my mother is all talk and I was not abused in the least as a child). I'm not making any judgment on parents who do spank their children, but its not a form of punishment that works in our house. I find myself physically carrying my child to her room, which is not easy to do as Elizabeth is almost 6 years old and is no shrinking violet (remember, she IS a Strawberry Shortcake size 6!!). While I'm doing this, she is struggling and it is everything in my power to remain calm. By the time she's in her room I feel like I've gone 13 rounds...and its only 8:00 am. I want to make clear this does not happen often, but when it does I question my approach!

I know I would never resort to this approach.!!!

So I ask you, is there a better way???

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?