Tuesday, March 08, 2005

 

The Red Tent

Has anyone read the book "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant?

My friend recommended it to me. When I asked what it was about, she said, "its from the Bible and depicts the ancient world of caravans, farmers, midwives in the tribe of Jacob". What the #%$??? Thanks, but no thanks. But my friend insisted it was entertaining and she is usually a good judge of books, so I checked it out from my local library.

Well, let me tell you something about those Bible people...they were gettin it on!!! Everyone was having sex with everyone, even the sheep!! And Jacob...well he was apparently the "bomb" (I could make a really bad joke about "Bible tale", but I won't). He had four wives, who happened to be sisters, and for the most part they seemed very satisfied with the arrangement (eewwww...I just had a thought, that would be like me and all my sisters sharing Harry John). Apparently, Jacob gave new meaning to the term, The Promised Land!! Jackie Collins could learn a thing or two from these characters.

The coolest part of the book, and hence the title, is this concept of the red tent. You see, back then, when women were experiencing that time of the month, they all herded into this red tent for a few days (as often is the case, when women live together their cycles tend to coincide. I know this from sorority house living). So, all the women are excused from work, sex, and basically interacting with society in general during this time. No cooking, cleaning, picking up camel doo doo, nada!! The women simply hang out in the red tent! WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! I think I'm going to pitch my own red tent in my backyard next month!!! My cycle is usually towards the end of the month...anyone else want to join me for some R and R???

Read the book!

Comments:
What a great idea! Count me in! I'll bring the beer and the Midol!
 
I'll bring the Tampax and s'mores!! -Irene
 
Send in the clowns!!!
 
if it is sad, dark and gloomy, then it should be on Orpah's list...every book I've every read on her list was horribly depressing.
 
if it is sad, dark and gloomy, then it should be on Orpah's list...every book I've every read on her list was horribly depressing.

love the tent idea!
 
Great posts! I have enjoyed reading your blog entries! See you in the tent!

Margie
 
It appears most Warrior readers don't have the hang of the "new-fangled computer" . . . or could all the duplicate comments be part of an ill-conceived plot to make it look as if there are more readers than there actually are?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?