Tuesday, February 08, 2005

 

What Am I Doing Wrong??

Well my 5 year old daughter tried to run away again. This is getting to be a habit.

She was angry with me after I told her to turn off the TV and come downstairs for breakfast. I prepared breakfast and sat down with my coffee to read the paper at the kitchen table. Still, no Elizabeth. After 15 minutes or so, I hear "thump, drag, thump" coming down the stairs. I know what's coming, as this is her usual procedure...she is dragging her Barbie suitcase behind her as she informs me she is going to live somewhere else. Only one problem. She is only wearing her pajama top. No underpants, pants, socks, shoes, nothing. Just her pj top.

And now the devastating part...she said she was leaving because "you hate me". OH MY GOD!! How could she say those words??? Please pick up a steak knife and gouge out my heart.

Elizabeth informs me she is going to live in a hotel. I ask her if she has enough money. "No problem", she says, "I have my Leapfrog bank in my suitcase". No wonder she was dragging the suitcase. I tell her I love her and convince her to stay. Good, I have her for one more day...but somehow I don't think I've seen the last of the Barbie suitcase.

So, I sit here yet again asking myself, "what am I doing wrong?".

Comments:
My 5 year old son swears practically on a daily basis that noone in our family loves him. At first, I wanted to cry, but now I have to stifle my giggles. I know it sounds terrible, but I just love how dramatic a 5 year old can be. I always tell him that we do love him, to please not say that anymore, and I hug him. And being that he has the memory and attention span of a tse tse fly, we are right back to square one the next day.

Please don't think that you are doing anything wrong. This is part of the hell we have to endure as parents. It's karmic payback, the circle of life: we terrorize and break our mother's hearts, and it comes back to us tenfold!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?